Eaglesvale Surprise Bulldogs

The Bulldogs of Churchhill Boys School came from behind to win their encounter against Eaglesvale at Eaglesvale this afternoon. The entertaining encounter kicked off at 15.20 instead of 15.00 due to the late arrival of the referees. Brilliant set plays were displayed by both teams but indiscipline was a cause for concern. Three yellow cards were issued by the referee with two of those going to the Bulldogs.

It was an unpleasant surprise for the Bulldogs who play in the newly launched Stanbic Super9 to find Eaglesvale right in their faces from the kick-off. Eaglesvale opened their account in the 2nd minute off the boot of fullback Barnabas Simende and a few moments later the Bulldogs found themselves watching him take another kick, this time a conversion after a try but Simende pulled it wide to leave the score at 8-0. Eaglesvale seemed in control as they were dominating the line-outs and scrums, winning the first scrum of the game against the head. With the smell of defeat by a non-Super9 team lingering in the air the Bulldogs had to work extra hard to make-up for the deficit of eight points before the half time break. Bulldogs fly-half was instrumental in their comeback as he orchestrated superb back-line  moves that resulted in three converted tries, all within the last 12 minutes of the first half leaving the half-time score at 21-8.

Churchhill carried over their momentum into the second half. The Bulldogs scored the opener for the second half under the posts hence it was easily converted. In the 9th minute a penalty in the hosts half saw Churchhill adding three more points to their score. Another try in the corner by the Bulldogs in the 17th minute left the scores at 36 – 8. Eaglesvale coach C.Mandenge made some changes in his line-up and these did prove useful as the hosts managed to score two tries and converted one of the tries and reduced their deficit by12 points. The hosts played deep in their opponents half for the last 8 minutes of the game but failed to capitalize on their territory to give victory away to the Bulldogs. The final score was 36 – 20 in favor of the visitors.

Despite three yellow cards being issued by the referee, both teams displayed great sportsmanship as they shook hands and thanked their supporters after the match. Well done lads for championing rugby.